Jennifer

Hi Bloggers,

My name is Jennifer Wilson and I really enjoy the online environment, not only as a viewer but as a contributor as well.

I am currently teaching in a P-12 school and have the joy of being one of two teacher librarians at the college.  My experience in the education setting is varied as I have many different roles within a school environment from teacher aide, school secretary, classroom teacher, grounds maintenance and now of course librarian.  I must say that my journey has been interesting!  My life as a teacher was inspired by others around me in my support roles.  I started my degree as a 33 year old with small children and have just entered my fifth year of teaching.

My role in the library came about quite by accident however, I would not change it for anything.  I love the fact that I get to interact with all students and staff on a daily basis.  The variety of skills that I am now using in this role is astounding.  Every day there is something new to investigate or someone else with an inquiry that I help with and this makes my job satisfaction extremely high.  I also love that the role of the teacher librarian is evolving into a specialist within the ICT area.  Although I don’t see myself as an expert in any way, I am enjoying the discovery of new technologies along with the students.  I see myself now as facilitator rather than instructor in this area.  I find myself learning along with the students as well as from them.  My life long learning journey continues!

I look forward to any comments left on my page and hope that you enjoy our blog.

Cheers

One thought on “Jennifer

1. Hi Jennifer. Your trajectory from teacher aide to librarian is fascinating. In the school I am located in in the Faculty of Education at QUT there are a few people who have charted a similar course, starting in low-level support roles then getting inspired by the education environment to take on study to become teachers or build on their first degrees to do postgraduate study. There’s certainly a lot of reward to be had by continuing to think of oneself as a learner.